Buttermilk peach smoothie
July 24, 2012 § 9 Comments
We are nearing August. The air, thick with fresia, mosquitos, and humidity begs for laziness and simplicity. I can partially oblige.
Simplicity. Simplicity often has such beauty to it. So much can be contained within so little. Like a haiku.
Peaches, golden orbs
Buttermilk, kissed with maple
Blend until frothy.
This is my current favorite afternoon pick me up or morning kickstart (well, besides coffee). A light, cool, refreshing, filling, lip-moustaching drink. The companionship of buttermilk and maple are perfect for making the most of the brief but resplendent local peach season. I don’t even bother to peel the peaches, leaving little flecks of sunset dotting my drink.
And just imagine the possibilities with a scoop or two of ice cream or frozen yogurt in there.
Buttermilk Peach Smoothie (serves 2)
- 2 ripe peaches, pitted and cut into chunks
- 1 Tbs. maple syrup, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cold buttermilk
- Put the peaches in a blender and pulse until they start to turn into a chunky sauce.
- Add the syrup and buttermilk and blend until pretty smooth and frothy. Taste and add more maple syrup, if desired.
- Divide between two glasses and serve.